Patriot’s Viper Gaming division this week officially introduced its first PCIe 4.0 SSDs, several weeks ahead of schedule. The Viper VP4100 drives use Phison’s PS5016-E16 controller and generally resembles competing products. However, because of a custom firmware, the SSDs may differ a bit as compared to other E16 drives.
Available in 1 TB as well as 2 TB configurations and equipped with Phison’s PS5016-E16 controller as well as 3D TLC NAND memory, the Patriot Viper VP4100 is rated for up to 5000 MB/s sequential read speeds, up to 4400 MB/s sequential write speeds, as well an 800K peak read/write random IOPS. While the rated sequential write speed of the VP4100 is 100 MB/s lower than other drives based on the same controller, its rated random read/write performance is 50K IOPS higher, which looks like a reasonable tradeoff because random speeds usually have a more significant impact on end user experience.
|Patriot’s Viper VP4100 SSDs|
|Controller||Phison PS5016-E16 (PCIe 4.0 x4)|
|NAND Flash||3D TLC NAND|
|Form-Factor, Interface||M.2-2280, PCIe 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3|
|Sequential Read||5000 MB/s|
|Sequential Write||4400 MB/s|
|Random Read IOPS||800K IOPS|
|Random Write IOPS||800K IOPS|
|DRAM Buffer||1 GB||2 GB|
|TCG Opal Encryption||No|
|TBW||1800 TB||3600 TB|
To make sure that performance of the Patriot Viper VP4100 SSD is consistent under high loads, the manufacturer equipped the drives with an external thermal sensor as well as an aluminum heat spreader.
Patriot’s Viper VP4100 SSD will be covered by a 5-year warranty and will be available in the near future. The 1 TB model will carry a recommended price tag of $399.99, whereas the 2 TB version will be priced at $599.99.
- More 2TB PCIe 4.0 SSD Options: Patriot with Custom Firmware coming Q4
- Patriot Launches Viper VPN100 SSDs: Up to 2TB, Massive Heatsink
- Phison’s PS5016-E16 & PS5019-E19: The First PCIe 4.0 Client SSD Controllers
- ADATA Launches XPG Gammix S50: A PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD
- Phison PS5016-E16 PCIe 4.0 SSDs: Random Read/Write Performance Disclosed
- TeamGroup Cardea Zero PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD: Up to 1 TB
- Corsair Announces MP600 NVMe SSD With PCIe 4.0